Spouses, Civil Partners, Unmarried Partners, Children and Other Family Dependants


Understanding Immigration legislation can often be tricky and keeping track of the variances and changes that accompany spouses, civil partners, unmarried partners, children and other family dependents can be even more difficult. Bright Legal Solicitors are experts in Immigration policies and procedures and our advice and support can help you understand the relevant legislation and any changes that have been made, allowing you to address them in your application, thus increasing your chances of success.

Spouses, civil partners and unmarried partners

For the partner of a British citizen, which includes spouses, civil partners, unmarried partners of either sex and a fiancé(e), there are different rules that need to be followed to ensure you are able to join them in the UK. The regulations changed on the 8th July 2012, so depending on when you made the application will depend on which rules you must follow and our experts can help you through the process regardless of when you applied. There are some situations where you should not apply under this category:

  • You are a national of a country in the EEA (European Economic Area) or Switzerland
  • You are the non-European family member of an EEA or Swiss national
  • You have no time limit attached to your stay
  • You are a British overseas territory citizen

For a fiancée, the above rules apply and you must plan to get married with six months of arrival and settle afterwards. You should not apply if:

  • You want to come to the UK to get married or register a civil partnership but do not plan to stay for more than six months
  • You intend to settle with your partner but not get married

[btnsx id=”488″]

Children and other family dependants

For children to join you in the UK, you and they must meet certain criteria. This will depend on both parents being in the UK, or the parent who takes sole care due to absence or death being granted permission to settle in the UK.  The child must be under 18 and:

  • Not leading an independent life
  • Not formed an independent family unit
  • Not married or in a civil partnership

Other family dependants need to prove they require long-term care that is not available or too expensive in their home country. The carer must also be able to prove they can provide this care without relying on public funds for a period of at least five years. You will need a family member already settled in the UK and must be over the age of 18 on applying.

To find out more about the varying conditions that might affect your application for permission to live in the UK, talk to Bright Legal Solicitors now for expert advice and support on your application.

[btnsx id=”488″]

 Make an enquiry

Contact Us


PNLA logo for website 1

Contact us


34 Belgrave Gate




Tel: 0116 262 7857

Mob: 0787 746 9172

Fax: 0116 319 4343

Email: info@brightlegal.co.uk